we'll see you soon
Student DevCon is suitable for:
- Postsecondary students studying computing science and computer engineering.
- Students with proficiency in computer programming or IT.
- High school students with an interest in computing science are also encouraged to attend - Comp Sci 20 or 30 required.
*Please note: Valid Student I.D. will be requested at the registration desk. If you are not currently a student and interested in attending the program, please email email@example.com.
9:00 AM: Registration & Refreshments
9:30 AM: Kick Off & Keynote
- Welcome from Mayor Don Iveson, City of Edmonton
- Keynote: AMA with Cam Linke - Startup Edmonton, Sean Solbak - SAM, Sean Feehan - Drivewyze, and Michael Wilson - DrugBank
10:30 AM: Workshops - Three Sessions to Choose From!
- Business Model 101 with Stephanie Enders
- Intro to VR with Unreal 4 with Nathaniel Rossol
- Introduction to Web Development with Michael Deering
11:45 AM: Lunch
12:45 PM: Keynote
- How to Get Hired with Tiffany Linke-Boyko - Startup Edmonton, Heather Whyte - Granify, Ben Zittlau - Jobber
2:00 PM: Workshops - Three Sessions to Choose From!
- Android App Development with Stefan Martynkiw
- Reinforcement Learning (Without the Math) with Dr. Patrick Pilarski
- Design for Developers with Robyn Larsen
3:15 PM: Coffee Break
3:45 PM: Final Session
- Special Guest: Andrew Vilcsak - Airbnb
5:15 PM: Job Mixer & Reception
- Introduction from companies followed by time to connect about opportunities!
6:30 PM: Thanks & See You Next Year!
In the past we've had speakers from companies like Apple, AirBnB and Jobber! This year, more keynoters will inspire you with their personal stories, advice for students and recent graduates, and lively Q & A sessions.
We know that you already have a boatload of assignments to tackle for school. In our hands-on workshops you'll gain the skills required to impress and connect with a hiring company as well as tangible ways to hit-the-ground running when you get hired.
Past Workshop Highlights
- Version Control
- Lean Canvas Model
- Game and Story Development
- Web Development
- Design for Developers
- Introduction to Machine Learning
One of the best parts about Student DevCon is your chance to connect directly with the CTOs and Dev Teams from some of Edmonton's fastest growing startups and great companies.
Getting hired & being a successful new team member takes a lot of work and preparation:
- Get experience building and showing your work
- Meet the people who work at the companies and learn as much as you can
- Participate in the community: hackathons, hack days, meetups and more
Student DevCon is a great chance to kick-start your interaction with startup teams!
Join your new friends as socials throughout the day. Your registration includes:
- Light Breakfast
- Snack & Coffee Breaks
- Job Mixer
- PLUS AWESOME SWAG!